Monday, May 20, 2013

5 Days Post Inoculation

Sunday, May 19: According to the Hookworm Timeline Days 3-5 post inoculation may cause respiratory symptoms, GI symptoms, and the rash may flare a bit. These symptoms are because the larvae migrate into the lungs where they are coughed up (you don't feel them or anything) and then they go down into the digestive tract. While I don't have a cough, sore throat, or anything I do have GI symptoms, and the bumps from the rash appear slightly more raised (see picture below). Everyone's course is different with helminths, but experiencing some of the expected side effects tells me that it's working :) 

I visited my doctor on Friday and she gave me a short course of prednisone at my request. My provider (The company that provides the helminths to me) has said that people sometimes go on a short course of prednisone to deal with the side effects, but only short term. On another note, my doctor has been incredibly supportive throughout this process. She has been open to alternatives and has agreed to support me and provide any necessary medical intervention along the way. Day 6-14 people sometimes experience a sudden but short term remission of all symptoms and side effects, so I will report back if that occurs- with elation! 
Thanks for Reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment